What to Bring
NOTICE: We ask people who have recently stayed in places where bed bugs or lice have been detected or suspected to not come to the center until they are confident that they will have no unwanted insects in their belongings.
PLEASE BRING THE FOLLOWING:
BEDDING: pillowcase, sheets, and warm blankets.
We ask all participants not to bring sleeping bags to the center, but bring only sheets and blankets that you wash just before the course.
- one or more cushions to sit on (please do not use the sleeping pillows provided by the center as meditation cushions);
- a shawl or light blanket, because you cannot bring your sleeping blanket into the meditation hall.
CLOTHING AND FOOTWEAR:
- enough comfortable, non-binding, noiseless clothing for the duration of your stay (washer and dryer are not available to do your laundry and manual-laundry conditions are not ideal);
All students must comply with the Center’s dressing code as outlined in the Code of Discipline booklet: tight, transparent, revealing or otherwise striking clothing such as shorts, short skirts, tights and leggings, and sleeveless or skimpy tops should not be worn.
- warm clothes;
- rubber sandals for shower and bathroom;
- one pair of quiet indoor footwear;
- rubber boots and an umbrella may prove useful.
FOR COURSES IN WINTER:
- Indoor wear: There is centralized heating throughout the center.
- Outdoor wear: Bring gear for wet wooded area. Boots, water proof jacket, and gloves.
- towel for showering
- towel for hand washing
- face cloth
- bath soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, unscented deodorant, shaving and sanitary supplies, facial tissues, etc.
Please do not bring any perfumed products.
- bottle for water;
- flashlight and extra batteries;
- small battery operated silent alarm clock (you may not use your cell phone or palm pilots as an alarm clock). Note that this article is not essential because a gong will be ringing everywhere in the Center for the awakening, for the beginning of the meditations and for the meals;
- in summer, unscented mosquito repellent.
PLEASE DO NOT BRING THE FOLLOWING ITEMS :
Personal food, cell phones, personal digital devices, laptop computers, jewelry or other unnecessary valuables, intoxicants, non-prescription drugs, tobacco, musical instruments, cameras, radios, incense, crystals, writing materials, books and other reading materials, religious objects such as amulets, rosaries, blessing cords, pictures, etc.
If you arrive at the center with any of these items you will be asked to surrender them for the duration of the course.
• MEDITATION CUSHION: a large base cushion for every student. A limited supply of smaller sitting cushions (flat and puffed cushion.)
• BEDDING: a sleeping pillow and a sleeping duvet.