What to Bring
NOTICE: We ask people who have recently stayed in places where bed bugs or lice have been detected or suspected to not come to the center until they are confident that they will have no unwanted insects in their belongings. Please inform the center upon arrival of any possible items that may have come in contact with bed bugs.
THE CENTER PROVIDES EACH STUDENT WITH:
• MEDITATION CUSHION: A large base cushion for every student. A limited supply of sitting cushions, benches, chairs and backrests.
• BEDDING: A single bed, a sleeping pillow and a sleeping duvet.
PLEASE BRING THE FOLLOWING:
Please bring your own pillowcase, single sheet and duvet cover to cover the bedding we provide. Blankets are also available. Please do not bring sleeping bags to use in the rooms.
- one or more cushions to sit on (please do not use the sleeping pillows provided by the center as meditation cushions);
- a shawl or light blanket, because you cannot bring your sleeping blanket into the meditation hall.
CLOTHING AND FOOTWEAR:
- enough comfortable, non-binding, noiseless clothing for the duration of your stay (washer and dryer are not available to do your laundry and manual-laundry conditions are not ideal); All students must comply with the Center’s dressing code as outlined in the Code of Discipline booklet: tight, transparent, revealing or otherwise striking clothing such as shorts, short skirts, tights and leggings, and sleeveless or crop tops should not be worn.
- warm clothes;
- rubber sandals for shower and bathroom;
- one pair of quiet indoor footwear;
- rubber boots and an umbrella may prove useful.
FOR COURSES IN WINTER:
- Indoor wear: There is centralized heating throughout the center.
- Outdoor wear: Bring gear for wet wooded area. Boots, water proof jacket, and gloves.
- towel for showering
- towel for hand washing
- face cloth
- scent free – bath soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, shaving and sanitary supplies, facial tissues, etc.
Please do not bring any scented products.
- bottle for drinking water;
- flashlight and extra batteries;
- small battery operated silent alarm clock (you may not use your cell phone or palm pilots as an alarm clock). Note that this article is not essential because a gong will be ringing everywhere in the Center for the awakening, for the beginning of the meditations and for the meals;
- in summer, unscented mosquito repellent.
PLEASE DO NOT BRING THE FOLLOWING ITEMS :
Personal food, cell phones, personal digital devices, laptop computers, jewelry or other unnecessary valuables, intoxicants, non-prescription drugs, tobacco, musical instruments, cameras, radios, incense, crystals, writing materials, books and other reading materials, religious objects such as amulets, rosaries, blessing cords, pictures, etc.
If you arrive at the center with any of these items you will be asked to surrender them for the duration of your stay.